Roku is a streaming media player that has simplified watching content on your regular TV and HD television. This streaming media player is popular in the masses due to its simple interface and variety of entertainment options it brings to your home.
Roku offers wide variety of entertainment in form of 600 + entertainment channels, video content from leading media portals such as Netflix, Hulu Plus and many more. Roku player can play 720HD video while higher version of Roku player can also play full HD video (1080p). It can be a good alternative to cable TV and it features different connectivity options making it compatible with any TV set.
Majority of the media portals have geo-restriction in place which means you cannot use your US Roku account in Canada or any country other than US. The solution to this problem is using VPN.
By subscribing to a VPN service, you can access your US Roku account from any place without any restrictions. A VPN service will allow you to access Netflix, Hulu Plus, BBC and all other services on your big screen through your Roku media player. A VPN service also provides security to the connection between your device and media portal server.
The connection between your Roku player and media portal is encrypted, so no one can see your real IP address while accessing Internet through your Roku player.
It is very easy to configure your Roku to use VPN connection through your laptop. All you need to do is set up VPN on your laptop and then connect your Roku to your laptop to enjoy the benefits and security offered by VPN. To setup VPN connection on your Roku you will need following things
- VPN service
- A laptop with wireless network adapter and RJ45 port
- Wireless Internet connection(through a router or ISP provider)
- Cross-over Ethernet cable
Steps to setup VPN connection on your laptop:
- PIA VPN is a good choice for streaming on Roku. The processes to set it up might be a little hectic but it’s worth your while. If you find the need to change to another VPN, I recommend NordVPN because it also works reliably with Roku. You can also check the list for available alternative VPNs to use on Roku here.
- By subscribing to a VPN service, you can access your US Roku account from any place without any restrictions. A VPN service will allow you to access Netflix, Hulu Plus, BBC and all other services on your big screen through your Roku media player. A VPN service also provides security to the connection between your device and media portal server.
Since Roku OS does not have capability to assign IP address by itself, you will be required to set your laptop OS to act as a DHCP server for Home Networking. You need to perform these steps on your laptop running Windows 7.
Installing PIA VPN on your Roku device will help you stream Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, and other services directly on your Roku device. Learn how to set up PIA VPN on Roku in the easiest way possible. (Specially written for beginners) Updated: January 26, 2021.
- On your laptop, click on Start->Control Panel->Network and Internet
- Click on Network and Sharing Center link
- Click on Local Area Connection listed under View your Active Networks
- Click on Properties
- Select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)”
- Click on Properties
- To set DHCP, click on Obtain an IP address automatically
- Click OK.
(Note: Keep the Default Gateway, DNS Server, Alternate DNS Server fields blank)
- Click on VPN connection you have created
- Click on Properties
- Click on Sharing Tab
- Select “Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection”
- Under the Home Networking Connection, select Local Area Connection from the drop down menu.
Note: Ensure the options “Establish a dial up connection” and “Allow other network users to control” is unmarked
Pia Vpn Roku App
- Make sure Establish a dial up connection is not marked and Allow other network users to control is unmarked
Steps to be performed on your Roku player
Pia Vpn Roku
- Turn on your television and set it to correct input for your Roku media player
- Connect your Roku player and laptop with a cross-over LAN cable.
- On Roku remote control, press Ok button to begin
- In the Roku menu displayed on the TV screen, select “Settings”.
- In Settings menu, select “Network,” followed by “Repeat Guided Setup”
- Use the navigational arrow button on your Roku remote control select Wired from the list
- Press Ok to change.
- Your Roku player will try to connect to Internet.
- Select Back followed by “Repeat Guided Setup”
My current VPN recommendations are HideMyAss and PureVPN!
Pia Vpn Roku Extension
Check out my reviews for them here: HideMyAss PureVPN