What is File Sync?
File Sync is a feature that allows you to synchronize files/folders to other locations, such as an external hard drive, NAS, or removable USB flash drive, etc. File Sync copies the individual files/folders similar to a Window's 'copy' command and therefore does not create an image file. Instead, files and folders are copied to the specified destination and can be easily accessed.
Add the folder from which you want to synchronize files. Above the middle section of the FreeFileSync window, click Browse, then go to the folder from which you want to synchronize files, click it, and click Select Folder. On a Mac, you'll click Choose instead. Sync Folders Pro is an easy-to-use app for beginners, has the ability to fine-tune synchronization settings for the most exacting professionals. Sync Folders Pro is perfect for backups to external storage devices including: USB, memory cards, disks on remote computers within your network, folders on Cloud services (Dropbox, etc.). Click the lock at the bottom left corner, click '+'. Select Sync Folders Pro+.app in /Applications folder and add it to the list. Select com.greenworldsoft.syncfoldersprohelper in /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools folder and add it to the list. Sync Folders Pro+ installs and uses the rsync utility to copy files.
How to run File Sync in AOMEI Backupper?
Here are the detailed steps about how to set file sync:
The Sync Folders Pro is perfect for backing up to USB, memory cards, disks on remote computers on your network. Install the VPN Server Configurator and you can synchronize folders on a remote Mac.
Click the 'Backup' tab on the left sides and then select 'File Sync'.
You can name this backup using the File Sync Task filed to help you distinguish it from other sync tasks. Click 'Add Folder' to select the folder which you want to synchronize.
You can click the 'funnel' icon to open the 'Filter Settings' after you add the source folders.
The feature 'Filter Settings' can be set after you add source folders. (Only available for paid versions)
1) The File Inclusion Mask can specify the files that you need to sync. Wildcards are supported and separate multiple maskswith semi-colon(*.doc;*.xls;*.ppt ).
With this mask, you can configure including sync according to file extensions, such as .doc, .xls, .ppt and so on. So, only files with the same extensions will be synced to the target path.
For example, you would like to only sync .doc files in the selected source folders. You can just configure '*.doc' in the mask. (If you would like to include more extensions, please separate the formats with semi-colons).
Sync Folders Pro Help
2) The File Exclusion Mask specifies the files that you need to exclude. Wildcards are supported andseparate multiple masks with semi-colon(*.temp;*.tmp;*.bak;*~*).
With this mask, you can configure to exclude according to file extensions, such as .temp, .tmp, .bak and so on. As a result, all files with the same extensions will not be synced to the destination location.
Forexample, you would like to only exclude .temp files in the selected source folders. You can just configure '*.temp' in the mask. (If youwould like to include more extensions, please separate the formats withsemi-colons).
3) The Folder Exclusion Mask specifies the folders that you need to exclude. Wildcards are supported and separate multiple masks with a semi-colon(*temp;temp*).
With this mask, you can configure to exclude folders with the same name. Therefore, all folders with the same name will not be synced to the destination location.
Forexample, you would like to only exclude folder 'A' in the selected source folders. You can just configure '*A' in the mask. (If youwould like to include more folder names, please separate the names withsemi-colons).
You can also tick the bottom three boxes as you need. After the 'Filter settings' option is set, please click 'OK'.
Select a destination location to store the folder, then click 'Start Sync' to perform the operation.
While a sync is running, you can click an icon in the lower-left corner to set to Shut down/Restart/Hibernate/Sleep PC after sync completion.
When the sync is running, you can also click the underlined sentence to check the sync process in detail.
And, please kindly wait for the sync process to complete and then click the 'Finish' button.
As a result, you can check there is a folder the same as the source generated in the destination location.
There will always be a folder with the same name as the task in the target location. (For example, if the task name is 'File Sync', there will always be a folder named 'File Sync' in the destination location.) The subfolders will be the actual folders you choose to sync.
If you do not need such a folder in the destination, you need to untick the box 'Automatically create a folder with the same as the task in the target location' under the button 'Menu'-'Servings'-'Advanced' before you create the sync task. (If you untick the box after a sync task is created, the folder will still be generated in the target path.)
1. The File Sync feature will copy the whole source folders by default (including subfolders and files) to the destination directory unless you configure to include or exclude some files and folders in the 'Filter Settings'.
2. Please don't modify the folder name of the source folder(s) once file sync has been set up, otherwise, the sync process can not function properly.
3. For a new sync process, if the source file name is the same as one of the destinations which have been synced before, the destination copy will be overwritten. There is no way to keep a different version of afile using the same names.
4. The maximum file path of file sync is restricted by the maximum path length allowed by the Windows API to 256 characters. So, please check the names of folders you are going to synchronize and shorten them when it's necessary. AOMEI Backupper can't synchronize folders that have special characters in their names.
Sync Folders Pro
5. For common scheduled sync tasks, if you delete a file in the sourcefolder, the file won't be deleted in the destination because AOMEIBackupper only supports added or changed files to be synchronized to thedestination location. If you need the files to be deleted from thedestination location when they are deleted from the source folder,please use the 'Real-time Sync' feature and select 'When deleting the source, files in the destination are also deleted' option.
6. When performing the File Sync operation, AOMEI Backupper can only sync the contents of folders that have not been renamed or moved. If you wish to change the name or location of the source folders(s) then you mustmodify the sync task to reflect this.
7. AOMEI Backupper currently only supports one-way sync. In other words, itcan synchronize folder from Folder One to Folder Two, but it can'tsynchronize back from Folder Two to Folder One after adding new files inFolder two.
8. If you synchronize the C drive to another disk, it is impossible to boot from the disk you sync to because Aomei Backupper only copies all data under C: drive to another disk and it does not copy the special boot configuration of your system.
9. File Sync supports VSS(Volume Shadow Copy Service). This allows files to synchronize that are being used by other programs. However, you need to make sure that the 'Volume Shadow Copy' service on your computer is enabled. If some files are in use by other programs exclusively, they are not synchronized.
10. If there are some special system files or folders with special securityattributes in the source folders, they won't be synchronized and theprogram will prompt you to skip them.
11. The main function of File Sync is to help you to synchronize workingfiles and user data files, however, if there are some special systemfiles or files with special security attributes in the source folders(e.g. C:bootbcd, C:WindowsCSC), they are not synchronized.
12. If the target path is located on a FAT/FAT 32 partition, any fileslarger than 4 GB won't be synced to the target path because a singlefile larger than 4 GB cannot be stored on FAT/FAT 32 partitions.
13. After synchronizing files, any changes made directly by the user to thefiles or folders stored under the destination location will causeinconsistencies between source and destination data.
How to create a scheduled File Sync task for your folder?
Method 1: If you have not created any scheduled file sync task, click 'Backup', select' File Sync' to bring you to the 'File Sync' interface. From here, you can select which folders you want to synchronize. Here is where you will also find the 'Schedule' option.
Method 2: If you have created a sync task butyou have not enabled the 'Schedule' feature, you can enable it by clicking the more options button to make it a scheduled task.
About Schedule Mode
Set a time point in the future to perform the backup task only once.
Set a time point to perform the backup task once a day.
Seta time range in a day first, then choose the time interval between the starttime and finish time and the program will perform the backup at intervals of1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 hours within this time range every day.
Sync Folders Pro Mac
Choose a specific day for the backup task from Monday to Sunday.
Set a desired start time and the program will automatically perform the backup at this time on the chosen day(s) every week.
Choose a start time on a specific day(Monday-Sunday) of each month to perform the backup task.
Choosea start time on a specific day from the calendar to perform the backuptask every month and you can select multiple days on the calendar.
There are four event trigger types offered by AOMEI Backupper: User logon, User logoff, System startup, and System Shutdown. Please note that Event triggers mode is available in paid versions only, such as AOMEI Backupper Professional.Please upgrade to professional if necessary.
1. User logon: Set up to perform a sync task automatically when the user logs in. Once you log into any user account (administrator or standard), the sync task is performed immediately. If you log on as an administrator account, you will see a small AOMEI Backupper system tray icon which shows the sync progress in the right bottom corner of the desktop. However, if it is a standard account, the sync task is performed in the background without the aforementioned system tray icon visible.
2. User logoff: Set up to perform a sync task automatically when the user logs off. Once you log off any user account (administrator or standard), the sync task is performed in the background immediately. If the sync task has not completed by the time you log on again, it still continues to run. If you log on as an administrator account, you will see a small AOMEI Backupper system tray icon showing the sync progress. If you shut down the PC before the sync task has completed, AOMEI Backupper will prevent the system from shutting down and then continue to complete the sync task first. After that, the system will shut down automatically.
3. System startup: Set up to perform a sync task automatically when a system startup occurs. Once the system has started, even though you have not yet logged on to reach the desktop, the sync task will run in the background immediately. If the sync task hasn't completed after you reach the desktop, it will still continue to run and you will see a small AOMEI Backupper system tray icon showing the sync progress if you logged in via an administrator account. If you shut down the PC before the sync task is complete, AOMEI Backupper will prevent the system from shutting down and then continue to complete the sync task. After this, the system will shut down automatically. In addition, you can set a time to delay performing the sync task. For instance, you could set up a 5-minute delay, so the sync task starts to run 5 minutes after system startup.
4. System shutdown: Set up to perform a sync task automatically when the system shuts down. When you click “shut down', AOMEI Backupper will prevent the system from shutting down and perform the sync task first. Sync status information is displayed. Once the sync is complete the system will shut down automatically. Please note that if a system update is running after clicking 'shut down', the sync task will run after the system update has completed.
How to create a Real-time Sync task?
For Real-time Sync tasks (available in AOMEI Backupper Professional editions and above only), Aomei Backupper will monitor the contents of the source folder(s) specified and reflect any changes or newly created files in real-time to the destination folder. In addition, you can select to optionally remove any files in the destination removed in the source locations as part of the real-time monitoring process.
Here are the detailed steps about how to set a real-time sync:
Click 'Backup', select 'File Sync'. Then, click 'Add Folder' to select the folder which you want to synchronize, choose the destination path, and then click the 'Real-time Sync' option. Or you can click 'Schedule' to find it.
When you select a Real-time Sync feature, you can also tick 'When deleting the source, files in the destination are also deleted' option so there is no need for you to manually delete these files from the destination location.
For more detailed info about how Real-time Sync works, please refer to real-time file sync.
When you click the' Schedule' option, you will see the 'Advanced' button next to 'General' so you can select which way below to run this task.
Sync Folder Pro
When creating a Sync task, you will see 'Sync Options'. Click it and in the pop-up window, you will see there are two options, one is 'Comments', the other is 'Enable Email Notification'. You can write comments for this task to help you distinguish it from other sync tasks and you can also enable email notifications for this task to receive an email informing you of the backup result.
Disable the 'Scheduled' option
If you want to disable your scheduled File Sync task, Go to Home > find the backup task > click more options button>Schedule >Do not schedule to cancel it.
1. For Real-time Sync, AOMEI Backupper does not support Email Notifications and the Event Triggers feature is only supported in the paid versions.
2. For the real-time sync feature, selecting a NAS as the source is not supported.