- You can compare and synchronize directories (also with FTP) using Total Commander's synchronize tool. After comparison you can synchronize complete directory trees or perform specific actions with certain files using the right-click menu as shown in the screenshot.
- Double Commander. Total Commander-inspired file manager that features two side-by-side panels.
- Easily backup / synchronize your files and folders with this accessible app that also provides the ability to schedule your file copying tasks What's new in SyncFolders Portable 3.5.011.
- You can use Total Commander to easily synchronize the files on your computer with your web server. Just connect to the FTP server in one pane, and open the directory with the local copy of your files in the other pane. Now, press Shift+F2 to compare the two directories.
For the longest time I wanted to sort folders (aka directories) in Total Commander but it just wouldn’t. The sort rules only applied to files and I never took the time to figure it out. Well, I found the option now, which I want to share. I can finally see what movies, ahem, I mean presentations, I downloaded last.
3.5.1701 / February 28, 2010
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
Synchronize It! is a file synchronization software which allows users to compare and synchronize folders that can be stored on the same computer, on different computers, in archives or on FTP sites. Various synchronization modes (actions) and comparison rules are available.
The most common application of Synchronize It! is to compare two folders — a source folder and a target folder. Users can choose whether subfolders should be included (allowing exclusion of specific subfolders), whether only matching folders should be compared and users can apply file filters. Various actions and comparison modes are available (see below). Custom sessions can be saved and organized into projects.
Compare folder with archive
Zip archives are supported internally and external archivers can be used to support other archive types. Archives support allows users to:
- create backup archives from folders;
- compare folders content with archived version and update it;
- compare and synchronize two archives with each other.
Command line switches
Synchronize It! can also be started and configured from command line. This allows automation and implementation in other tools, such as Total Commander.
Synchronize non-connected PCs
The package feature can be used to synchronize distant, non-connected PCs. A list of the files contained in the source folder is stored in a small package file, that can be kept on a USB stick. The package is then synchronized with the target folder on another computer. Files only present or modified on the target computer will be packed into the package. A package hence contains only the files that are different and not the entire folder, which makes it a tool to keep non-connected computers synchronized (e.g. a PC at work and a PC at home).
Reporting and printing
Results form comparison can be printed or exported and published as HTML reports.
Synchronize It! also works without installation and is only 2.5 MB in size. It can be run directly from a USB stick.
Total Commander Folder Synchronization
The following actions / synchronization modes are available:
|Action||source only||target only||source newer||target newer|
|Synchronize||copy >>||copy <<||copy >>||copy <<|
|Update target||copy >>||---||copy >>||---|
|Backup copy||copy >>||delete||copy >>||---|
|Duplicate||copy >>||delete||copy >>||copy >>|
|Date1 + size||Default rule, suitable for most cases: files are same, if they have same date and size.|
|Date1_or_content||Modification of default rule, suitable if you think you have same files with different dates. Files with same date and size are still considered as same, but in addition files with same size and different dates are compared byte-by-byte to check if they are same.|
|Content||Strict rule, which does binary comparison for all file pairs. Using this rule will make synchronization slower. This rule is ideally suited for CD verification after burning|
|Size only||Files are considered to be same if they have same size. It is only good for some log files and similar.|
1Date comparison in all rules takes into account global time-related options, such as Ignore 2 secs difference etc.
Microsoft Folder Sync
- Stone, Adam (2005-01-20). 'Synchronize It! In Synch in No Time Flat Efficient, Painless Synching at Your Service'. Winplanet Software Reviews. Retrieved 2009-07-01.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 'Synchronize It!'. Diff Utils - Reviews of Comparison Software. 2006-12-17. Retrieved 2009-07-01.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)