Transcription jobs are usually work from home and very plentiful! It's non-phone work that you can do on your own time, and the best part is that for some branches of transcription, you don't necessarily have to have past work experience to get started. Many companies will just ask that you pass a test to prove you're capable of the work.
Today, I'm sharing with you a list of 100 work at home transcription companies that are frequently looking for new workers.
We've broken this down for you into convenient sub-categories so you can see which companies are willing to accept beginners and which ones would prefer past experience or some sort of training.
Before applying for any jobs you find below, you may want to enroll in this free 7-lesson transcription e-course you can do on your own time. It explains what transcribers do, what you can earn, and whether or not you're a good fit.
This is how to write home in phonemic script: /'həʊm/ This form will allow you to transcribe any word to or from phonemic script. Just type it in and search. Transcribe words to and from phonetics. Search for transcriptions. 1000 very common English words in phonemic characters. The BIG LIST of words. Apr 24, 2020 Transcription is a great venture for people who like to work from home as many companies require one to do it at home. It’s only a few that require transcribers to do it on site. Work From Home Transcription work is fairly flexible and a lot of companies do consider beginners hence no experience is required.
Also, some (but not all) of the companies below will want you to have transcription software and a foot pedal, plus a headset prior to starting work.
Entry Level Transcription Companies
- AccuTran Global – Read AccuTran Review – US only. Prefers experience, but will hire newbies if skills test is passed. Pay is per word and ranges from a starting base rate of $0.005/word for a beginner on basic audio, to their top rate of $0.0066 for difficult and/or foreign audio done by senior transcribers.
- Appen – Read Appen Review – This company is best known for offering search engine evaluation work, but you can transcribe for them, too. No experience needed.
- BAM! Transcription – This company will hire beginners if a skills test is passed. The app is not on their site, so you'll have to contact them via their contact form to get info on applying.
- Casting Words – Read Casting Words Review – Beginners OK. Only $1 is needed to request a payout.
- Crowdsurf – May be open worldwide, but you must be fluent in English. CrowdSurf offers transcription and captioning HITs on Work Market. You must have a Work Market account to work on their transcription/captioning tasks. Rate per audio hour is not known, but salary reports on Glassdoor indicate some transcribers average $6 to $7 hourly.
- Daily Transcription – Read Daily Transcription Review – US and Canada only. Specializes in entertainment, corporate, and legal transcription. They claim their top transcriptionist makes between $250 and $950 weekly. Glassdoor indicates some transcribers are averaging between $10 and $11 hourly here.
- Genius – Not always open. Lyrics transcribers usually needed. Doesn't specifically say under qualifications that you need transcription experience. They do prefer that you are fluent in a foreign language.
- GoTranscript – Open worldwide. No experience needed, just a computer and internet connection. Website claims most transcribers here only make $150 per month, so this would definitely pay on the lower end and should just be considered extra money.
- GMR Transcription – US and Canada. Entry level OK.
- National Capitol Contracting – Read National Capitol Contracting Review – Entry level is OK, but they do prefer experience. Pays $40 an audio hour.
- Pactera – Frequently has remote transcription tasks available. Experience is not required, but you must test, train, and follow the guidelines.
- Quicktate – Read Quicktate Review – No experience needed. Must take a test before being hired. Hires in US & other countries.
- Rev – Read Rev Review – Accepts beginners. Also offers freelance video captioning work.
- Scribie – Read Scribie Review – No experience needed. Must take test. Hires worldwide. Waiting list and very low pay.
- SpeechPad – Beginners may apply here. You only a computer and internet connection to start. Pay is twice weekly, no minimum.
- Telenotes – Appears to consider people without experience. However, it is required that you come into their office for interviews, etc. prior to being hired, so you must live in Utah.
- Tigerfish – Read Tigerfish Review – Entry level OK. Must take test. US only.
- T ‘n T Transcriptions & Translations – Entry level OK. Must pass skills test first.
- TranscribeMe – Read TranscribeMe Review – This is another company that's open to hiring beginners. Pays via Paypal, no exp. needed to get in.
- Transcript Divas – Read Transcript Divas Review – They will consider beginners. The company receives many applications per week, but if they interested, they will contact you for a phone interview.
- Transcription Express – This Arizona-based company may consider beginners. US only. Set your own hours and work when you want.
- Transcription For Everyone – Appears to be open to beginners. Must have strong computer, grammar, and research skills.
- Transcription Hub – No experience level listed, but it does say you will be evaluated prior to getting accepted here. You're allowed to work whenever you want and at anytime you want.
- TranscriptionWing – Appears to be open to beginners, although you do have to indicate on the application form if you've ever done transcription work in the past.
- Ubiqus – Read Ubiqus Review – Hires for all types of transcription. Will consider beginners. Must type at least 70 wpm.
- Verbal Ink – Read Verbal Ink Review – Occasionally hiring for general transcription. They hire US-based transcribers only and do prefer experience, but you can still get in if you do well on their test.
- 3 Play Media – Read 3 Play Media Review – Occasionally has openings for work from home transcript editor. This is not technically transcription, but rather editing transcription already done.
- A & P Transcription – Always looking for qualified transcriptionists to add to their team. Appears that they do prefer experience.
- AccuScribe Transcription – Hires experienced transcribers to work at home. Send resume and cover letter to apply.
- Alice Darling Secretarial Services – Must type at least 75 wpm. Not always hiring, check career page for openings.
- AlphaDog Transcription – They only hire experienced transcribers and they prefer if you've had experience in entertainment transcription. Additionally, you must reside in the Los Angeles area to qualify for work here although the position is home-based.
- Allegis Communications – Read Allegis Review – Hires occasionally for people to transcribe 100 pages per week. Pays weekly. Must have at least two years of transcription experience.
- Babbletype – Read Babbletype Review – Sometimes has openings for work from home transcribers and QA editors. Check their jobs page for current openings.
- Cambridge Transcription – Hires for legal and corporate transcription, experience required.
- Cyber Dictate – Are currently looking for US based workers with experience in legal transcription.
- Dictate Express – Legal transcription. Requires a minimum of two years experience.
- eTranscription Solutions – Typing speed of no less than 80 wpm required. Experience needed, details on career page.
- eScribers – Read eScribers Review – This is a company that is frequently looking for remote legal transcribers. Experience needed. Weekly pay. Cannot accept workers in the states of Massachusetts or California.
- Expedict – Hires only experienced audio transcriptionists. They receive a lot of applications so it may take a while to hear back if you apply.
- eWord Solutions – Read eWord Solutions Review – Requires some experience. US candidates only. They send files five days per week. They don't have employment info on their website, so you would need to use their contact form to inquire about jobs. You may earn around $.0050 per word (a rate one of my readers was offered), although this could possibly vary.
- Fantastic Transcripts – Requires experience. Not currently hiring, but will keep your info on file.
- Focus Forward – Read Focus Forward Review – This company is often hiring (I see their ads on Craigslist a lot). Experience required, accepts both English and Spanish language transcriptionists.
- Hollywood Transcription – This company may require experience though it is not stated as a requirement on the website. You must type at least 65 wpm.
- Kelsey Transcripts – Must have experience in transcription and all necessary equipment, plus a transcription program on a newer model computer to be considered.
- Landmark Associates – Read Landmark Associates Review – Must take test, and they prefer experience, although if you can pass their skills test you can possibly get in anyway.
- Moravia – This company needs people to transcribe song lyrics. They prefer experience. Work is available for English speakers and speakers of other languages.
- Net Transcripts – Read Net Transcripts Review – Lots of law enforcement based work, must pass background check for this work. Also hires for financial transcription.
- On the Record Reporting and Transcription – Must live in or near Austin, TX area because you will be required to work in the office during training time.
- OutSec – A UK based company that hires worldwide. Need at least two years of typing experience to be considered.
- Multilingual Connections – This company hires for home-based transcription. Most likely you will need to be fluent in a language besides English to qualify for a job.
- Preferred Transcriptions – Does medical, legal, and general transcription. One year experience required for general.
- Production Transcripts – Must be experienced. Fill out online application. Hires sporadically.
- Same Day Transcriptions – Professional transcribers only. Some federal work.
- Say It Back – Entertainment transcription. Must have digital foot pedal and software.
- Speak Write – Read Speak Write Review – Does both legal and general transcription. Work is on a contract basis and you must have experience.
- Take 1 – Entertainment transcription. Appears to be a UK based company. Prefers experience.
- TASK Transcription – General and legal transcription. Requires three years of experience.
- Telly Transcriptions – Hiring general transcribers. Job description indicates they only want individuals with experience.
- Transcribe.com – Read Transcribe.com Review – General transcription, experience preferred. US only. They pay daily with Paypal.
- Terescription – Does entertainment, business, legal, and education transcription. Requires experience.
- Transcription Centre – They hire US and UK based transcribers with experience that are fluent in English. They specialize in focus groups and interviews for university and market research
- Transcript Divas – Hires US based, native English speaking transcribers on occasion to work at home. Good rates.
- Transcription Experts – US only for remote work. Minimum 2 years experience.
- Transcription Outsourcing, LLC – Transcription Outsourcing, LLC is looking for committed and professional transcriptionists.
- Voxtab – Requires experience. Hires freelance transcribers in many different countries, including the US.
- We Scribe It – Must have at least six months experience in the last two years for general transcription.
- Word Wizards – This company hires US based transcribers for various types of transcription, including audio and video.
- Written Communications – Prefers at least three years experience. Hires in the US and Canada.
Note that you will need training before you can land a job as a medical transcriber. CareerStep is one the more reputable online schools you can use for the training you need to get certified.
They will even give you a voucher ($250) to get your certification from AHDI once you've completed the training.
You can read our full review of CareerStep here.
- 360 Transcription – Regularly looking for proficient medical transcribers. They appear to consider CareerStep graduates.
- Absolute Transcription – US only. Must have 3 years experience & be able to pass test.
- Acusis – Offers full and part-time employment. Requires at least three years of past transcription experience. Job description says they provide competitive compensation.
- Amphion Medical Solutions – At least two years' hospital inpatient experience transcribing the “Basic Four” or at least two years' clinic experience transcribing all specialties (>4 specialties) in addition to any formal training.
- Eight Crossings – Eight Crossings welcomes inquiries from Medical Transcriptionists with a minimum of two years experience transcribing multi-specialty medical reports. Graduates from approved transcription training programs may also be considered.
- GMR Transcription – This company does medical as well as other types of transcription. You can get in with no experience but you have to pass a test. Hiring from US & Canada only.
- Keystrokes Transcription – Has several medical transcription jobs listed that appear to be remote. The listings do specifically say no new grads accepted and that you must have at least 3 years of past experience.
- M Modal – Regularly hiring home-based medical transcribers. Must have either one year of past experience or be a recent graduate of an AHDI medical transcription program.
- NJPR – You must view their employment page for details about current open positions.
- Northeast Transcription – This company is accepting applications from new (within the past 6 months) graduates of formal medical transcription schools, with or without on-the-job experience.
- Nuance Transcription – Minimum of one year of acute-care experience to include histories & physicals, operative notes, consults and discharge summaries, as well as other report types
- Penrad Imaging – Occasionally has medical transcription opening requiring 6-12 months prior experience. Colorado only, onsite training required.
- Perfect Transcription – They require at least 3 years experience in medical transcription and at least 2 years experience in a given specialty.
- Phoenix Medcom, Inc. – They require a minimum of 3 years experience for Acute Care work, and 2 years experience transcribing for a specialty practice, clinic, surgery center, etc. Production environment experience essential.
- Precision Transcription – Hires work from home medical transcribers to work as independent contractors. Must have at least 3 yrs experience in acute care.
- Precyse – Require 3 years experience. Full-time work available.
- Preferred Transcriptions – A minimum of two year's experience in a hospital or clinical setting, or with another medical transcription service.
- Same Day Transcriptions – They hire for medical, business, and general transcription. Fill out form online to apply.
- SoftScript – Must have three to five years medical transcription experience depending on the particular transcription job you choose (they have several choices). Attractive benefits package. Only hires people residing in the U.S.
- SpectraMedi – Hires experienced medical transcribers to work at home.
- StenoMed – Looking for transcriptionists who have an in-depth understanding of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, procedures, and treatment.
- StenTel – US only. Requires past experience or you must be graduated from an AHDI-approved program to apply for these openings.
- Superior Transcribing Service, LLC – They prefer someone who can give at least two years of experience transcribing multi-specialty medical reports or a graduate of a Medical Transcription Program.
- Terra Nova – A minimum of five years transcription experience covering many specialties is required.
- Transdyne – Looking for people with 2 + years of experience in general medical record transcription within a hospital / medical records department or a multi-specialty clinic.
- Ubiqus – Read Ubiqus Review – Hires for many different types of transcription, including medical. Required experience not listed.
- Verilogue – Hires for freelance medical transcription and translation. Requires experience and typically fluency in a foreign language.
- Word ZXpressed – Openings not always listed. You can check MTJobs.com for their listings when they are hiring.
- AI Media – Read AI Media Review – This company hires freelancers to work on captioning movies, TV shows, YouTube videos, and more. Newbies welcome. However, pay rate is on the low side.
- Caption Max – Hires work from home captioners on occasion. You may possibly need to be located in or near Minneapolis, MN.
- Rev Captions – Read Rev Review – This company regularly hires captioners to work from home.
- Vitac – Occasionally has openings for real time remote captioners. Experience is required.
More Transcription Information
I've written the following blog posts below with more details to help you!
- An overview of general transcription jobs.
- An overview of medical transcription jobs.
- An overview of legal transcription jobs.
Useful Transcription Resources
- MT Stars – An old, established forum for medical transcriptionists.
- Transcription Essentials – Transcription Essentials is a community of transcription professionals who pride themselves on their commitment to excellence.
- AHDI – A listing of reputable schools to consider for medical transcription training.
Useful E-book About Work From Home Transcription
If you want a quick, informative read that will basically sum up transcription, how it works, what sort of person is going to be good at it, and where to get started finding work, I can't recommend this book enough.
It's very inexpensive and will help you wrap your head around it all so you'll feel more confident about getting started!
I hope all of the information above is helpful to you if you are seriously considering an at-home transcription career! Good luck!
Post originally published on June 11, 2012. Updated and re-published on April 30, 2021.
Transcription job seems like an easy job to many, but it actually resulted. That is the reason there are so many best transcription jobs from home are available but not enough transcribers.
Technically, transcription in writing refers to the process where a person converts an audio / video into a written format. Transcription is everywhere. From the interviews to the legal decisions, everything needs to be written on a paper.
Transcription is not easy; it is an art. And it requires speed and accuracy in an equal amount. Around the world, there are millions of transcribers that work throughout the day and convert speech into text.
With the development of technology, several speech-to-text software have been developed that can transcribe speech faster. But, people still prefer transcribers for transcription work owing to accuracy and better pricing.
Transcription is for those who can sit for long hours and convert speech into written words. An average transcriber can type 60 words per minute. Some transcribers have phenomenal accuracy and speed.
If you are a transcriber or you wish to become one, then this article is perfect for you. Here, you will come to know all about transcription and the top 10 websites to find the best transcription jobs from home.
Millions of people have lost their jobs in the COVID-19 pandemic, and everyone is compelled to work from home. If you want to try transcription, you can make $ 1000- $ 2000 per month. It is one of the great ways to earn some extra money.
Different Types of Transcription Jobs
Transcription is divided into different branches. These branches deal with different topics.
Although you don’t need to have an in-depth knowledge of them, still you need to familiarize yourself with common terms, abbreviations, and spellings related to the field.
1. General Transcription
It is a very common transcription type. Here, you need to have fast typing skills and phenomenal listening skills. You will transcribe videos, lectures, interviews, audios, etc.
Sometimes it is difficult to recognize words and accents, but with time, you will improvise.
If you don’t know where to start, I recommend general transcription for beginners. It is easier and more comfortable than the other types of transcriptions.
2. Medical transcription
This is a different and slightly difficult type of transcription. It demands a high percentage of accuracy. Here, you need to be familiar with the nuances of the medical field. It is an official work, therefore, you need to respect privacy too.
If medical transcription jobs from home interests you, you can look for online transcription jobs from home opportunities and get into this niche steadily.
Medical transcribers earn more money than others.
3. Legal transcription
Legal transcription jobs from home includes the transcription of legal things like court hearings, judgment, or anything else that relates to the law.
It requires high accuracy (98 percent) as the things you will type will be recorded as a legal statement.
However, legal transcription jobs from home is recorded clearly. You can listen to the recording and type it easily.
4. Financial transcription
Financial transcription encompasses all the transcription that involves the finances of a company, annual reports, sales, business meetings, or any other thing.
It is an easier job for individuals that opted for the commerce stream back in school.
5. Technical transcription
Technical transcription requires the transcriber to convert a speech that involves technical terms or definitions to it. It is quite an easier job for individuals with an engineering background.
If you are new to this niche, you have to understand a few terms, in the beginning, to understand what’s going on in the audio transcription jobs from home.
6. Verbatim transcription
This type of transcription is slightly different. It requires the word to word conversion of a speech. You have to include transition words like- ‘umm’, ‘erm’, ‘hmm’, etc.
This means it requires precision and patience.
It is time-consuming, full of nuances, and it requires patience to listen.
7. Editing transcription
In this type of transcription, the main this is deleting the unnecessary words and only focusing on the words that adds a meaning.
This is opposite to the verbatim transcription. As a transcriber, you can make changes to the speech as long as the meaning stays unchanged.
8. Intelligent transcription
As the name suggests, this type of transcription requires a brain with fast typing and listening skills. Here, you have to omit those words or sentences that don’t match the main theme of the audio transcription jobs from home. Therefore, you need to have a good grip on the words as well as on the theme of the speech.
10 Best Websites for Transcription Jobs from Home
Average hourly rate: $7-$10
Types of transcription: all types of transcriptions, live captions, subtitles, etc.
Transcription Of Home School
Rev is one of the most popular sites among transcribers around the world. It also pays you very well. As a transcriber, you have to listen to the audio, type it, and label the speakers. You will have to check its accuracy further.
You can also try to become a captioner. As a captioner, you have to watch a video and type the conversation. After that, you have to sync the captions with the video.
At Rev.com, you get weekly payments and you can choose any job that you like.
Average hourly rate: $2- $8
Types of transcription: Comes Under general transcription jobs from home.
Crowdsurf is a website that works with freelancers to provide transcription and close-caption services. It is easy to join crowdsurf work for anyone around the world.
It pays well to the transcribers between $2 to $8 per hour.
3. GMR Transcription
Average rate: $1.25-$4 per audio minute
Types of transcription: academic, legal, podcast, business, digital, audio, video, focus group, conference call, verbatim, market research, interview, etc.
GMR Transcription is exclusively for US-based transcribers. If you are based in the US, you can utilize this opportunity to find a job here. The payments are secure and the accuracy is around 99 percent.
This is for US citizens only, but they recruit only the most efficient ones.
Average rate: $1.0- $1.75 per audio minute
Types of transcription: general, budget, French, Spanish, etc.
CastingWords is a transcribing website for freelance transcribers all around the world. If you want to become a freelance transcriber, joining it now.
In order to start working with CastingWords, you have to make an account and add genuine details.
Average rate: $0.89 per audio minute
Types of transcription: general, professional medical, and legal transcription.
At iScribed, transcribers get around $0.89 per audio minute which is good. Here, you can apply for general transcription, medical transcription, and legal transcription.
If you are a beginner, you should start with general transcription.
Apart from that, iScribed also offers closed-captioning services (similar to transcription)
Average rate: $0.80 per audio minute
Types of transcription: all types
You can apply to Scribie.com and start transcribing an array of audios. The application process takes three steps. First, you have to submit an application, then you take an online test, and if you pass the test, you can start transcribing and making money.
Average rate: $0.79-$2 per audio minute
Transcription Of Home Language
Types of transcription: medical, academic, technology, and consulting transcription.
At Transcribeme, you can join the team of highly-efficient transcribers by passing a test. After this test, you will get gigs that you will complete with high accuracy. After that, you can get the money via Paypal.
Transcribeme pays well to its transcribers. You can make about $2000 per month by just transcribing.
8. Transcription Hub
Average rate: $0.75 per audio minute
Types of transcription: general, education, medical, legal, insurance, and meeting transcription.
Transcription Hub used only human transcribers. It doesn’t rely on any software.
To join Transcription Hub, you have to register on the website. You will be assessed on the basis of your past experiences. After that, they will rate you as gold, silver, and bronze.
You will get work according to your ratings and after that, you can take your payment.
Average hourly rate: $0.72- $1 per audio minute
Types of transcription: academic, research, verbatim, focus group, and medical transcription.
At Gotrasncript.com, you can find different transcription jobs from home. It pays you around $1 per audio minute which is great.
Applying for jobs is easy here. You can apply for jobs and get your earned money amount via Paypal. You can learn by trying different transcription niches.
To join the Crowdsurf, you have to follow three steps. After you complete these steps, you are good to start transcribing on the website.
10. Transcription Panda
Average rate: $0.79- $2.4 per audio minute
Types of transcription: audio, video, MP3 to text, research, interview, audio, verbatim, etc.
Transcription Panda offers transcription services at an affordable price. You can apply as a transcriber and transcribe audios, videos, interviews, etc.
The application process is easy and you will get around $0.79 to $2.4 per minute of audio. It is a fair price and you can easily learn the different types of transcription with practice.
Anyone from around the world with fast typing and sharp listening skills can apply for a job.
Transcription Home Based Jobs Philippines
5 Must-have Things for a Transcriber
To become an efficient transcriber, you need to save several things. These things make the writing process easier.
1. Fast internet connection
Phonetic Transcription Of Homemade
People who work from home need to have a fast internet connection. This is undebatable. All these above-mentioned websites are only accessible via the internet. Therefore, spend good money on a wifi connection as it will help you in writing as well as connecting with your employer.
2. A laptop
A laptop is also essential. Some people rather prefer a desktop as it has a comparatively larger screen. You can use whatever you find comfortable.
Both of them have their pros and cons. A laptop has more mobility and you can use it on your bed, sofa, balcony, or a cafe.
Transcription Of Medical Orders
Desktop computers are limited to their original place. On the other hand, desktops have a larger screen and you can view a lot of content in a single screen, with the small screen of a laptop, this isn’t feasible.
3. Ergonomic keyboard
Tapping keys on a keyboard for too long might hurt your fingers. Therefore, it is recommended to buy an ergonomic keyboard with soft keys that gives the least strain to your fingers and hand.
Before buying a keyboard you should go through your requirements. If you don’t like typing too close to the screen of your laptop, you should buy a wired, or wireless keyboard.
Wireless keyboards are better because they give you the freedom of movement.
4. Ergonomic mouse
Transcription Of Meeting
A mouse is another important accessory while using the laptop. For convenience and to give less strain to the eyes and hands, it is best to buy a suitable mouse.
These days, wireless mice are more popular because of their simplicity and better design. I suggest you purchase a wireless optical mouse.
It will give you freedom of movement and you can operate your laptop form a sober distance. In this way, both your hand and eyes will experience less strain.
Headphones are another really important accessory for a transcriber. You have to deal with myriad audios and speeches. Headphones provide privacy as well as clear sound. It also helps you in ignoring the noise.
You should buy ergonomic, affordable, long-lasting, noise-canceling, and better sound quality earphones.
Apart from all these primary things, there are other things that should be taken into consideration to ensure maximum comfort while working.
For example, for work, you should have an ergonomic chair and a multipurpose table. Both of them will not only increase your productivity but also alleviate body strain and help you improve your body posture.
Other than that, you can have things like an alarm clock (to replace your distractive phone) on your table.
In this article, you found out almost everything about transcription. You know the different websites where you can look for transcribing jobs and gigs.
You will be surprised to know that a lot of people don’t know about transcribing yet. You should consider yourself the lucky one because you can use this opportunity to work part-time or full-time transcription jobs from home.
Transcribing is easy if you have good typing skills and listening skills. If you possess both, then this is your call.
Sharpen your skills further and start looking for more opportunities. In no time, bigger and better-earning opportunities will definitely know your door.